I'm Rich - 55


The surroundings were exceptionally quiet, so quiet that Guan Zhiyi could almost hear the sound of her own blood rushing back through her veins.

Off in the distance, muffled voices and footsteps began to draw closer.

"Today isn't even the latest finish. Last time, we wrapped after three in the morning."

"Wow, your crew works even later than ours..."

Qi Chengyan cast a glance in the direction of the noise and stopped teasing her. "Get in the car first. I'll drive you back—"

Before he could finish, the girl in front of him suddenly threw her arms around him. Her slender arms wrapped around his waist, holding him tightly, with an intensity that almost felt like two people clinging to each other for dear life.

Qi Chengyan froze, his heart instantly turning soft beyond measure.

"Xiao Wu..."

Buried against his chest, Guan Zhiyi's mind was flooded with a thousand different thoughts.

Yet she knew someone was coming, so after a few seconds, she let him go. Standing before him, she tilted her head up to look at him. "Is this okay?"

Qi Chengyan was taken aback for a moment, then replied, "It wasn't quite enough, but since people are coming, I'm barely satisfied."

"Oh."

"Get inside first."

Qi Chengyan led her to the passenger side, opening the car door to let her sit inside before anyone could approach.

The set was fairly close to the hotel, barely a ten-minute drive away. Even though Guan Zhiyi secretly wished to spend a little more time with him, the hotel quickly came into view.

The car pulled into the hotel's underground parking lot. The two sat in the car, neither making a move to leave right away.

To Guan Zhiyi, the feeling right now was utterly magical and subtle. The man beside her had actually become her boyfriend. Thinking back, not too long ago, she had been keeping her distance from him. A bit before that, she had been secretly harboring an unrequited crush on him. And even further back, they were just good neighbors carrying on with their dutiful brotherly and sisterly affection...

"Can I tell Yun-jie about us?" Guan Zhiyi asked after a moment of silence.

Qi Chengyan turned his head to look at her. "Why couldn't you?"

Guan Zhiyi felt a bit embarrassed. "Whenever other artists went public with their relationships in the past, she always said they were neglecting their work. I don't know what she'll think about me being with you."

"Don't worry, she won't have any issue with it."

Guan Zhiyi stole a glance at him. "I'm guessing she wouldn't dare to have any issues, considering you're her boss."

Qi Chengyan smiled. "And what about you? What do you think?"

Guan Zhiyi said, "Honestly, I don't care much about that aspect. I'm just an actor, and as long as I do a good job acting, that's enough. I don't think my fans would make a fuss even if they found out I'm dating. It's just..."

"What?"

"You know how extreme the internet can get sometimes. I have so many haters, and I don't want you to get targeted and attacked by those bored people just because of me."

Qi Chengyan curved his lips. "Worried about me?"

"Of course. Haven't you been criticized on the internet before?"

"Don't worry, I don't pay any mind to things on the internet."

"Well, I pay mind to them. I don't like other people smearing you for no reason," Guan Zhiyi said, her brows knitting slightly. "So for now, let's just keep this between our inner circle. Besides, we just got together, and you're not in the entertainment industry anyway, there's no need to make an official announcement online."

"Mm... true." Qi Chengyan rested one hand on the steering wheel, his tone contemplative. "Though, are you sure you dare to let our inner circle know?"

Guan Zhiyi froze. Just as she was about to ask why she wouldn't dare, she suddenly realized that this "inner circle" didn't just refer to their work staff—it included both of their families.

"..."

Seeing her freeze in place, Qi Chengyan couldn't help pinching her cheek. "Don't know how to break the news?"

"I'm trying to figure out how to bring it up... I feel like my brother is going to blow his top."

Qi Chengyan said, "It's fine. I'll find a time to have a proper talk with him."

Guan Zhiyi instantly chickened out. "Wait, wait, wait, let's do it together. I'm still on set right now... how about waiting until I wrap up filming? I'll think about how to tell him in person so it's easier for him to accept."

"You think he'll find it hard to accept?"

Guan Zhiyi picked at her fingers. "Definitely. Think about how he usually views the two of us. If he suddenly finds out about this now, he's definitely going to scold me."

Qi Chengyan was silent for a moment before saying slowly, "It probably won't be you he scolds. It'll be me."

"..."

The two chatted for a while longer, but since Guan Zhiyi had a shoot early the next morning, Qi Chengyan let go of her hand and let her go upstairs to rest.

Guan Zhiyi unbuckled her seatbelt. "So, you're heading back tomorrow?"

"Mm."

Guan Zhiyi nodded, a quiet reluctance taking root in her heart.

"I'll come see you again in a while."

"There's no need. You're really busy too, running back and forth is such a hassle." Guan Zhiyi thought for a moment. "My grandparents are hosting a golden anniversary party in a while. I'll take a day off to fly back then."

Qi Chengyan curved his lips slightly. "Are you telling me to look forward to that banquet?"

"No, what I mean is..."

"It means you want me to wait for you obediently." Qi Chengyan held her hand. "Alright, I'll wait for you."

Even though the light in the parking lot was dim, a flush of red could still be seen spreading clearly across Guan Zhiyi's fair skin.

"Then I'll head up first," she said in a slight hurry.

Yet Qi Chengyan didn't release her hand.

Guan Zhiyi asked, "What is it?"

"I'm leaving tomorrow, and we won't see each other for a long time."

"Mm..."

"Is there anything else you want to say to me?"

Guan Zhiyi thought it over. "What else is there to say?"

Qi Chengyan didn't know what else needed to be said either; he was simply reluctant to let her go. He gave her a deep look. "Nothing really. Go on up and get some rest."

Guan Zhiyi nodded and turned to open the car door, but as her hand rested on the handle, she stopped.

Qi Chengyan watched her stall with some confusion. Just as he was about to ask what was wrong, the girl before him suddenly turned back. With lightning speed, she cupped his face with both hands and planted a kiss squarely on his lips.

Perhaps out of nervousness, she kissed him quite forcefully. Their soft lips pressed together, leaving a crisp, clear smacking sound echoing inside the car.

"..."

"I don't have anything left to say, but there's something I wanted to do!" The moment Guan Zhiyi finished speaking, she released her grip, turned, and scrambled out of the car in one fluid motion.

It was rare for Qi Chengyan to be caught completely off guard. He watched Guan Zhiyi dash away, taking quite a while to regain his composure.

After a long moment, he raised a hand to touch his lips, letting out a soft, helpless laugh.


There was a reason Guan Zhiyi wouldn't let Qi Chengyan visit the set again. The filming duration for this movie was quite short, so the daily schedule was packed to the brim. If he came, she really wouldn't have any time to spend with him.

And because Qi Chengyan was afraid of disrupting her work, he refrained from coming to the set again, aside from keeping in touch through daily calls and messages.

Just like that, a month passed, and the day of her grandparents' golden wedding anniversary arrived. Guan Zhiyi had requested leave and coordinated her schedule with the production team far in advance, so after wrapping her scenes that morning, she went straight to the airport to fly back.

The banquet was held at the old Guan family estate. The family patriarch, Guan Hong, loved lively gatherings and had invited a vast circle of relatives and friends, with the Qi family naturally included on the guest list.

The event was set for the evening, but due to a flight delay, Guan Zhiyi arrived quite late. Rather than heading home first, she had Guan Xi bring a change of clothes to her grandparents' house so she could change right on site.

Her grandparents doted on their grandchildren deeply, and their rooms at the old estate were always kept ready so they could come and stay whenever they pleased. Upon reaching the estate, Guan Zhiyi slipped quietly through the entrance and headed straight for Guan Xi's room.

"Jie."

"You're finally here?" Guan Xi glanced back at her and paused, startled. "You sure dressed casually."

Guan Zhiyi said, "I just threw on whatever clothes I had after wrapping my scene and rushed straight to the airport. By the way, where are the clothes I asked you to bring?"

"Open the first wardrobe. They're inside."

"Oh."

Guan Xi had picked out a short dress for her. After changing into it, Guan Zhiyi put on some makeup using Guan Xi's cosmetics and made to head downstairs.

Guan Xi pulled her back. "Lipstick! Put on a bit more lipstick, it's way too pale."

Guan Zhiyi replied, "There's no need."

"Get over here." Guan Xi was ridiculously particular about things like makeup and wardrobe. She yanked Guan Zhiyi right back. "What's your hurry? The main banquet is already over, and everyone is just mingling around now. You're late anyway, so what's the rush over a few minutes?"

Guan Zhiyi: "...Who says I'm in a rush?"

Yet in truth, she couldn't be more rushed if she tried.

Her steps felt light as wind, her heart overflowing with delight, all simply because she wanted to see a certain person.

Only after Guan Xi touched up her face was she finally willing to let her head downstairs.

Her grandparents were the guest of honor today, so Guan Zhiyi naturally accompanied Guan Xi to greet them first. The two elders were chatting animatedly with other senior guests in the main hall, and upon seeing their youngest granddaughter arrive, they pulled her into conversation for quite a while.

Only at the end did they say, "Young people should hang out with young people. Xiao Wu, your brothers are out in the backyard. Go find them."

"Alright!" Guan Zhiyi stood up. "Grandma, Grandpa, I'll head over then."

"Go on, go on." As she walked away, her grandfather boasted to the friends beside him, "See that? My youngest granddaughter. She's doing amazingly well now. That show she acted in, what was it called... The Imperial Court! It's truly a great watch..."

"This young girl is truly a beauty. I wonder which lucky boy will have the good fortune to win her over."

"Hahaha, yes indeed! I'm going to evaluate candidates thoroughly, we certainly can't be careless about it."

"Naturally, naturally."

...

The voices of their conversation gradually faded behind her as Guan Zhiyi walked along the path to the backyard. Along the way, domestic staff bustled back and forth, some carrying small pastries, others holding red wine. Whenever they saw Guan Zhiyi, they would politely greet her as Fifth Miss.

"Where are my brothers?"

A servant replied, "Right up ahead, Miss. Just turn left and you'll be there."

"Alright."

Long white tables were set up in the backyard, arrayed with a dazzling spread of pastries.

When Guan Zhiyi stepped outside, she spotted a group gathered up ahead—about eight or nine people, dressed formally in suits and tie.

She caught sight of Qi Chengyan in a single glance. He hadn't noticed her yet, merely talking to the people beside him with a gentle smile lingering in his eyes.

Guan Zhiyi drew a quiet breath, feeling an inexplicable trace of nervousness. After all, this was only the second time they were seeing each other since making things official...

"Look who's here, isn't that our family's Xiao Wu?" Suddenly, someone waved a hand in her direction.

The person waving was her second brother, Guan Ziyu. With his shout, the entire group turned their eyes over. And so, Guan Zhiyi's gaze met Qi Chengyan's. Separated by the distance, a subtle spark flickered between them for a brief instant.

However, with so many people watching, especially with several of her brothers present, she was too shy to keep staring at Qi Chengyan. Walking over, she dutifully greeted everyone in turn.

Guan Yuanbai looked at her. "Why so late?"

Guan Zhiyi said, "My flight was delayed."

Guan Ziyu: "It's fine, it's fine. It's good that you made it."

Guan Zhiyi asked, "Why are you all gathered around here? What are you talking about?"

"Nothing much, we're just placing bets."

"Placing bets?"

"Yeah!" Guan Ziyu laughed. "Aren't quite a few of us still single? So we're guessing who will be the last one to leave singlehood. Come on, Xiao Wu, place a guess on who it'll be too. Here, I'll give you two high-probability options for reference: your brother Guan Yuanbai, and this Young Master Qi here."

Guan Zhiyi stole a glance at Qi Chengyan, who happened to be looking at her as well, offering her a meaningful smile.

Guan Zhiyi's heart skipped a beat, and she quickly looked away.

Guan Yuanbai dismissed it with utter disdain. "Guan Ziyu, could you be any more bored?"

Guan Ziyu replied, "You're just afraid you'll lose face if most people bet on you, aren't you?"

"How could I possibly get the most bets?" Guan Yuanbai said coolly. "Either way, Chengyan is here to hold down the bottom rank."

Qi Chengyan raised his eyebrows slightly. "Is that so?"

"Is it not?"

Guan Ziyu prodded, "Come on, Xiao Wu, place a bet, place a bet! Which one are you voting for?"

Everyone looked at her with keen eyes, waiting for her answer. Guan Zhiyi sneaked another glance at Qi Chengyan.

Slowly, she extended her index finger, and slowly... pointed it right at Guan Yuanbai.

After a few seconds of silence, the crowd erupted into a roar of laughter.

"Hahaha, Yuanbai! Even your own sister doesn't believe in you, hahaha!"

The corner of Guan Yuanbai's mouth twitched slightly. "Guan Zhiyi?"

Guan Zhiyi gave a thoroughly guilty look. "Brother, I... I was just pointing randomly."

 ---


Comments