I'm Rich - 50
She had filmed so many shows, read so many novels, heard every sweet phrase under the sun.
Yet when spoken by a different person, the feeling was entirely different.
Guan Zhiyi was trying her best to stay composed, but after he uttered those words, her face instantly burned hot, a flush so fierce she couldn't suppress it no matter how hard she tried.
"Why aren't you picking up your chopsticks? Is the food not to your taste?" Qi Chengyan reined himself in as he looked at her bright red cheeks.
"No..."
"Eat then. Liu Yun mentioned your shooting schedule has been pretty tight lately, you barely have any time for meals."
"Mm."
Guan Zhiyi took the chopsticks he passed her and lowered her head to eat.
Once she began eating, he stopped talking. The van fell quiet, saved only for the faint clatter of utensils against bowls. Unable to sit still, Guan Zhiyi glanced up at him.
Only then did she realize Qi Chengyan was resting his chin on his hand, his eyes fixed on her the entire time.
"...What are you looking at me for?"
Qi Chengyan smiled softly. "Didn't I come here specifically to look at you?"
Guan Zhiyi replied, "If you keep staring at me like that, I can't swallow anything."
"Is that so? Then just pretend I'm not looking."
"..."
Qi Chengyan noticed a tiny speck of oil near the corner of her mouth, pulled out a tissue, and handed it to her. "Wipe that off."
Stumped by his response, Guan Zhiyi ignored him for a moment. Qi Chengyan raised an eyebrow slightly. "Does this mean you want me to wipe it for you?"
Guan Zhiyi started, immediately snatching the tissue from his hand. "I wasn't thinking that at all..."
"Then what were you thinking? After all these days, have you figured anything out?" Qi Chengyan asked. "Still think dating me is a bad idea?"
Having wiped her mouth, Guan Zhiyi crumpled the tissue into a ball and murmured in a low voice, "Who acts like you..."
"Hmm?"
"It's only been a few days since you confessed, and you ask me every single day."
Qi Chengyan paused, putting on a somewhat troubled expression. "True. But isn't that because I'm worried? Scared that you don't like me?"
"Even so, no one does it like you!" Guan Zhiyi summoned her courage and said, "I... I'm not that easy to win over. It's not like you get to say you don't like me, then say you do, and I just have to throw myself at you!"
Qi Chengyan hesitated slightly. "When did I ever say I didn't like you..."
"Anyway, even if we have some history, it still depends on how you perform."
Looking at the little girl before him acting as if facing a formidable enemy, Qi Chengyan let out a soft laugh. "Mm, alright. I'll be sure to perform well."
"What are you laughing at? I'm not joking with you."
"I'm not joking with you either." Qi Chengyan reached across the table and lightly tapped her forehead, just as he had done countlessly before. "Though Xiao Wu, considering our history, do I get a slightly better shot?"
"...We'll see."
"Quite heartless, aren't you?"
"Naturally. I am not easy to fool at all."
It sounded like a warning to him, yet also like she was convincing herself.
Guan Zhiyi lowered her eyes and continued eating, fiercely resolved in her heart. He was the one who had said he didn't like her in front of everyone last time, so he had to take some responsibility for his own words!
After finishing lunch and taking a brief rest, Guan Zhiyi went back inside to resume shooting, wrapping up and returning to the hotel only when dinner time arrived.
"Zhiyi, come take a look at the dress and accessories for tomorrow's red carpet," Liu Yun said, standing at the room doorway.
Exhausted to her bones, Guan Zhiyi wanted nothing more than to collapse onto the bed and sleep. "Didn't you have me look at them yesterday?"
Liu Yun replied, "This time is different. Yesterday's were borrowed from the brand. Today's were sent over by President Qi for you."
Guan Zhiyi snapped her eyes open. "What?"
In the living area of the hotel suite stood a large box and a gown hanging beside it. When Guan Zhiyi walked out, Liu Yun and the roomful of staff members were all looking at her with meaningful, knowing smiles.
Since everyone in the room worked exclusively for Guan Zhiyi and belonged to her inner circle, Liu Yun spoke plainly: "Zhiyi, this time it's for real, isn't it?"
"What?"
"Last time, I didn't know you and President Qi grew up together as childhood friends, so I misunderstood the situation between you two. But looking at this, it doesn't seem like a misunderstanding this time," Liu Yun said. "So, President Qi is pursuing you."
It was a statement, not a question.
Guan Zhiyi didn't know what Qi Chengyan had told Liu Yun, but at this moment, she had no room to deny it, because that man had indeed said it with his own lips... that he liked her.
"Where is he now?" Guan Zhiyi asked.
Liu Yun said, "He flew back this afternoon. President Qi had work to do today, so he came over purely to have lunch with you."
"..."
"Oh, come look at this first. These earrings and necklace are gorgeous! And this dress is absolute perfection. You'll definitely outshine everyone on the red carpet this time!"
Guan Zhiyi didn't say anything, but looking at the exquisite jewelry inside the box and the hanging gown, her heart was secretly brimming with joy once more. He had come all this way just to have a meal with her...
It wasn't that Guan Zhiyi had never been pursued before. But when she was younger, any classmates who tried to pursue her were scared off by Guan Yuanbai and Qi Chengyan. Later in university, those who tried were completely ignored by her, since she spent very little of her free time on campus and couldn't give those boys any time.
After entering the entertainment industry, the only one who had ever made his intentions clear was Xiao Ran, but she knew deep down that she and Xiao Ran were completely impossible, so she ignored him as well.
All in all, her experience with being pursued was remarkably thin. Having someone like Qi Chengyan explicitly state his pursuit, send gifts, and fly long distances just for her was something she had truly never experienced before...
Two days later, Guan Zhiyi finished her work and returned to the capital.
Qi Chengyan knew her schedule inside out. On the afternoon she arrived home, his message had already arrived.
At that moment, Guan Zhiyi was chatting with Guan Yuanbai.
[Let's have dinner tonight]
Seeing the message on her phone, Guan Zhiyi couldn't help a faint smile from tugging at her lips.
Guan Yuanbai was talking animatedly when he looked back and saw her looking completely distracted. He frowned. "Are you even listening to me?"
"Ah... Yes, yes, I am. Then you decide, Ge. I think you understand Grandma better, whatever you give her, she'll definitely like."
Guan Yuanbai nodded. "Alright, I'll make the arrangements then."
"Okay, then I'll head out first."
"Where to?"
"Back to my room," Guan Zhiyi said. "Oh right, tonight I'm... going out to eat with a friend, I won't be eating at home."
Guan Yuanbai said, "You just got back and you're already—"
"Gotta go!"
Guan Zhiyi, dragging her slippers, scampered upstairs.
Watching her retreating back, Guan Yuanbai shook his head. "She really doesn't take me seriously at all."
Upon returning to her room, Guan Zhiyi flopped onto her bed and replied, insincerely: [I'm having dinner at home with my brother tonight]
Qi Chengyan: [What's so good about eating with him?]
With no one around, Guan Zhiyi let her smile show without restraint. Lowering her eyes, her fingers flew across the screen: [Then what's so good about eating with you?]
Qi Chengyan: [You'll know once you come. If you don't come, I might just have to drop by your house.]
Guan Zhiyi froze: [What are you coming to my house for?]
Qi Chengyan: [To tell your brother that I'm pursuing you, and that I need to take you out on a date.]
"............"
Guan Zhiyi's fingers stopped over the screen. If her brother found out right this second, he would give her a ruthless, ear-blistering scolding. Scolding aside, the main thing was that she found the situation utterly embarrassing... She was certain her brother would find the whole thing between her and Qi Chengyan completely unfathomable.
Guan Zhiyi took a deep breath: [Are you crazy?]
Qi Chengyan: [If you're scared, just meet me at the gate in a bit. I won't go in.]
Guan Zhiyi had long decided to go out to dinner with him; her heart longed for him too. She was merely putting on airs of composure, playing hard to get.
[Oh]
Her one-word reply made it seem as though she were being forced against her will, but in reality, after sending it, she rolled over on her bed, unable to suppress the wild excitement roaring inside her chest.
So... what should she wear later?
Washing her hair, taking a bath, putting on makeup, and blow-drying her hair—Guan Zhiyi spent a full two hours fussing about in her room before stealthily creeping downstairs at five o'clock.
Taking advantage of Guan Yuanbai's absence from the living room, she slipped out like a flash.
Qi Chengyan's car was already waiting outside. Guan Zhiyi quickly opened the car door and slid inside. "Drive, drive, drive, hurry up."
Qi Chengyan glanced at her. "Why are you acting so sneaky..."
"Afraid my brother will see, of course!"
"What does it matter if he sees you having dinner with me?"
"The problem is I just said I was going out with a friend, without mentioning you. Now that it turned out to be you, he'd definitely find it strange!"
Qi Chengyan let out a soft laugh. "It seems you're really afraid of your brother finding out about this."
"Aren't you?!"
Qi Chengyan was caught off guard by her counterquestion, feeling a bit awkward. Truth be told, when he first realized he had fallen for Guan Zhiyi, he had felt guilty toward Guan Yuanbai as well. Having been by the guy's side for so many years, suddenly introducing something like this made his past presence feel somewhat altered in meaning.
However, he knew this couldn't be hidden for long anyway.
"Ahem, let's go eat first." Qi Chengyan stepped on the gas.
Guan Zhiyi stole a glance at his slightly uneasy expression... She knew it! He definitely found it strange too!
Qi Chengyan took her to a members-only restaurant. The patrons here were all wealthy or prominent, and neither the guests nor the staff would bat an eye at a celebrity dining there, there was no need to worry about Guan Zhiyi being photographed.
"I've heard my sister mention this restaurant before. She said the food is quite good." In Guan Zhiyi's mind, if even Guan Xi nodded in approval, it had to be exceptional.
Qi Chengyan replied, "Mm, I've been here once before, it is indeed quite good. See what you'd like to eat."
"Okay."
Guan Zhiyi only ordered a set meal. Qi Chengyan took the menu she had looked through and added several more dishes she might like.
Guan Zhiyi said, "Don't order so much, I can't eat that much."
"Did Liu Yun restrict your diet again?"
His tone sounded as though he were ready to reprimand his subordinate the very next second. Guan Zhiyi touched her nose and defended Liu Yun: "She doesn't restrict me when I'm not shooting. It's my own choice to maintain my figure."
"There's no need to be so strict. You look quite nice with a bit more weight on you."
"Nonsense..."
Qi Chengyan looked up at her. "I've seen you back then, haven't I? How is it nonsense?"
"Well, I didn't see you liking me back then either."
Qi Chengyan choked, caught between laughter and tears. "Did I fall in love with you because you got thin?"
"Then tell me, why do you like me?" Guan Zhiyi tilted her chin slightly, striking a pose that practically said, 'Let's see what sweet, deceptive words this pursuer of mine is going to spin.'
Qi Chengyan set down the menu. Just as he was about to speak, a voice suddenly called out from behind them: "Ge, Zhiyi?!"
Qi Chengyan paused and turned around.
Guan Zhiyi was equally startled to see Hua Hongxi suddenly appear here, followed by a wave of embarrassment. But after the initial awkwardness passed, she thought: It's just having a meal together, what's the big deal!
What she didn't know, however, was that Hua Hongxi's mind functioned entirely differently from normal people.
In his mind, a man and a woman coming to such a romantic restaurant for a candlelight dinner were either a couple, married, or at the very least involved in a romantic fling. Ordinary friends eating here were simply wasting the atmosphere.
So, motioning for the female companion beside him to wait a moment, he strolled over to their table and said with immense delight, "You two actually started dating?"
Qi Chengyan: "..."
Guan Zhiyi: "............"
With no one answering, Hua Hongxi's eyes lit up, and he turned to Guan Zhiyi: "I knew it! Zhiyi, you couldn't resist confessing to Ge after all, could you?"
Qi Chengyan froze, looking toward Guan Zhiyi: "?"
Stunned into disbelief by his words, Guan Zhiyi gasped, "Hua Hongxi!"
---
Comments
Post a Comment