I'm Rich - 42
Chapter 42
Besides Guan Zhiyi, there were two other girls at the table. Compared to her quiet eating, those two were far more talkative and could hold their own in conversation with the men.
After eating her fill, Guan Zhiyi slowed down. Qi Chengyan seemed to notice and turned his head. "Wait for me a bit?"
Guan Zhiyi hummed in acknowledgment and said casually, "Sure, no rush."
"Mm."
"Zhiyi, if you get bored waiting, go over there and play. You can sing if you want." Song Li spoke to the woman beside him. "Go keep her company."
The woman was obedient and enthusiastically said to Guan Zhiyi, "Hey there, let's go sing together."
Guan Zhiyi wasn't much for talking to strangers, and this overly enthusiastic woman was a bit much for her to handle. Just as she was thinking about how to decline, the private room door suddenly swung open.
Everyone turned at the sound.
A woman walked in wearing a cream-colored coat. Bright eyes, white teeth, a slender figure. She strode in on ten-centimeter heels without a glance at anyone else.
She was on the phone as she entered, talking to whoever was on the other end while casually tossing her bag at Song Li, then waved at him to move.
Song Li picked up the bag, which was worth about as much as a house, and stood up, yielding his seat without missing a beat. "Miss, what brings you here?"
"Okay, I got it, I'll tell you later..." The woman ignored him completely, sat down, and finally deigned to notice someone. Her gaze landed on Guan Zhiyi.
"Xiao Wu? What are you doing here?"
Guan Zhiyi was surprised to see Guan Xi walk in, but then she figured if Jiang Suizhou was here, it made sense. "I came for dinner."
Guan Xi hung up and glanced at the person next to Guan Zhiyi. "Qi Chengyan?"
Qi Chengyan nodded at her in greeting.
Guan Xi smiled. "I was wondering why you'd be here. Turns out you're with this one."
"Jie, so you came to eat too?"
"Eat?" Guan Xi shook her head, propped her chin on her hand, and looked at Jiang Suizhou, who was seated one spot away from her. Her smile was dazzling. "I came to catch someone cheating."
"..."
Jiang Suizhou calmly set down his chopsticks, a faint, clear smile appeared in his eyes.
Guan Xi continued, "But now that I look, it seems I missed."
Jiang Suizhou glanced at her. "How'd you know I was here?"
"Finding out where you are is easy. I've got eyes everywhere." Guan Xi then looked brightly at the woman sitting beside Jiang Suizhou. "And this is...?"
"This is my girlfriend!" Song Li said immediately. "Don't aim your fire randomly."
"I was just asking. Why so nervous?" Guan Xi gave Song Li a slightly disdainful look. "You think I'm so bored I'd come to investigate her household registry?"
Song Li put on a placating expression.
Guan Xi couldn't be bothered with him anymore and crooked a finger at Guan Zhiyi. "Xiao Wu, come on, let's go chat over there. Ignore these people."
Guan Zhiyi was bored anyway, Guan Xi's arrival suited her perfectly.
"I'll go sit over there." She habitually informed Qi Chengyan.
Qi Chengyan nodded. "Go ahead."
After Guan Xi and Guan Zhiyi went to sit on the sofas in the entertainment area, Song Li finally let out a breath. "Tch, this young lady. I thought she was going to flip the table when she showed up."
Jiang Suizhou said mildly, "She probably was."
He didn't finish, but everyone understood. She'd likely toned it down because her little sister was here.
Song Li: "You pissed her off again?"
Jiang Suizhou thought about it. "Probably?"
Song Li laughed and cursed. "Damn, you can't even remember what you did to set her off?"
Jiang Suizhou neither confirmed nor denied.
Song Li sighed. "Good thing Xiao Wu was here today. Otherwise this young lady would've gone after everyone in the room."
"I couldn't tell this little sister had that kind of deterrent power." Song Li's companion laughed.
“You wouldn’t know. Every one of the Guan family’s young masters and misses is a force to be reckoned with outside, but when it comes to their own family, they’re incredibly doting, especially of this little sister. Then again, Xiao Wu’s always been adorable and easy to love. Who wouldn’t spoil her a little more, right, Chengyan?”
Qi Chengyan didn't answer. His gaze drifted far across the room to the girl. She was saying something, her lively doe eyes flickering with delight... Suddenly, he regretted letting her go over there.
"Chengyan?"
"Mm."
"I think I heard before that your cousin was dating Xiao Wu? What, is your family trying to marry into the Guan family?"
Qi Chengyan paused. His slightly tipsy eyes seemed veiled in mist, unreadable.
After a long moment, he said, "I'd like to."
Guan Zhiyi and Guan Xi hadn't seen each other in a while, but they chatted on WeChat regularly. Guan Xi had known the whole story behind Guan Zhiyi's rumors from the start.
"Xiao Ran's good-looking. It's a little bit of a shame you two never actually dated." After chatting for a while, Guan Xi concluded.
Guan Zhiyi: "...Oh."
"That said, Qi Chengyan's looks are every bit as good as Xiao Ran's. Oh right, I saw his cousin's photo last time too. I have to ask, is your eyesight bad? You're around Qi Chengyan all the time and you still choose to date his cousin?"
Guan Zhiyi immediately reached to cover her mouth. "Keep your voice down."
Guan Xi looked at her nervous little sister and moved her hand away. "Don't smudge my lipstick."
"..."
"I'm just being honest." Guan Xi picked up something reflective nearby to check herself, and only continued once she confirmed her lipstick was intact. "You're around him so much. You don't like him?"
Guan Zhiyi's expression immediately soured. She said sullenly, "I don't."
Guan Xi raised an eyebrow slightly. "You'd better be telling me the truth."
"I am telling the truth!"
"Mm-hmm, oh-oh, I believe you."
"..."
Guan Zhiyi didn't want to discuss this within Qi Chengyan's line of sight and quickly steered the conversation elsewhere.
After the two chatted on the sofa for another half hour or so, Jiang Suizhou came over. "Time to go."
Guan Xi glanced at him, saying to Guan Zhiyi, "Xiao Wu, I'll head out first then. I'll come find you at your place in a few days."
"Okay."
Guan Xi got up and walked to Jiang Suizhou's side. "Where's my bag?"
"Didn't you throw it at Song Li?"
"I don't mean that one. I mean the one you promised to buy me, the—"
"Which one?"
"Jiang Suizhou! You dare to forget!"
A soft laugh escaped the man, "Relax, I bought it. It's at my place."
"Really?"
"Come home with me and you'll see."
...
After the two left the room, their voices faded with them.
Everyone in the room was getting ready to leave. When Guan Zhiyi got up and headed toward the dining table, people were already filing out.
"Xiao Wu, let's hang out more often. Next time bring your brother too." Song Li had his arm around his girlfriend, drunk and unsteady on his feet.
Guan Zhiyi nodded. Her eyes sought out Qi Chengyan first. He was still in his seat, head slightly lowered, expression unreadable. Seeing everyone had left, she moved to his side and touched his shoulder.
"Let's go too."
Qi Chengyan grunted and caught her wrist with his hand.
Guan Zhiyi froze. "You..."
"Help me up."
They were the only two left in the room. When he looked up, Guan Zhiyi noticed for the first time the drunkenness in his usually clear eyes.
"Are you drunk?"
Qi Chengyan pulled her hand and stood. "Maybe."
Maybe? He was definitely drunk.
Guan Zhiyi saw him sway and quickly steadied him. "I thought you could hold your liquor."
"Song Li's drinks have a strong afterkick." Qi Chengyan laughed softly. "And who said I could hold my liquor?"
He was still holding her wrist, and she, afraid he'd fall, had her other hand clutching his clothes. Standing like this brought them close, close enough that she could almost feel the warmth radiating off him.
"I saw you drinking plenty at the table earlier..." Guan Zhiyi stepped back as she spoke, letting go of him. But the moment she released her hand, he lost his balance entirely and toppled toward her.
"Careful—"
She yelped and quickly braced her hands against his chest, but there was no way she could support his weight. She was pressed backward. Luckily, the wall was right behind her. Her back hit it, and her nose barely grazed his collar.
A faint scent, mixed with the mellow warmth of red wine surrounded her, making her head swim.
Guan Zhiyi froze for a moment, her ears burning red. "A-are you okay? Maybe I should call my sister and Suizhou-ge back. I can't move you—"
"Xiao Wu."
"...Hm?"
"You haven't called me in a long time." Qi Chengyan's arm braced against the wall, his body bent slightly, his low voice sounded right by her ear.
Too close. So close that the slightest movement would bring her into contact with him.
"W-what?" Guan Zhiyi didn't dare move.
"You've got someone else you like now, so you don't want your gege anymore?"
Guan Zhiyi was stunned. "I never said that."
"Is that so... Then say it. Let me hear it."
He was really drunk...
Guan Zhiyi looked up at him. His gaze was fixed on her, cold and clear, yet his posture and tone made her heart race. Did he not know how fatal he looked like this?
Guan Zhiyi was a little annoyed. She lowered her head, unwilling to look at him. "Say what?"
"You don't even know what to call me anymore?" Qi Chengyan pinched her cheek, forcing her to look up.
His expression was off. Guan Zhiyi was bewildered. "Are you taking your drunk out on me?"
"Say gege."
"..."
"Hurry up."
"I won't."
"Then you're not leaving."
Guan Zhiyi was speechless. She'd never seen Qi Chengyan drunk and out of sorts, so she'd never known he could be this unreasonable.
"You..."
Before she could say anything else, the door was pushed open. A waiter, probably assuming everyone had left and came to clear the room, walked in on a man and woman still inside.
Guan Zhiyi turned to look, clearly seeing the waiter startle, then retreat with a knowing expression.
Guan Zhiyi: "............"
"Still not saying it? You really don't want to leave?" Qi Chengyan stared at her flushed cheeks and said softly.
Guan Zhiyi did not want to be gawked at by another waiter. She grabbed the front of his shirt. "Ge, gege, gege, gege, happy now? Stop messing around..."
Only then did Qi Chengyan seem satisfied. He straightened slightly, freeing her from the trap between him and the wall.
"Gege can't walk straight. Lean closer and hold me up."
Guan Zhiyi figured there was no point fighting with a drunk. So when he draped his arm over her shoulder, she simply steadied him with a hand at his waist. "Watch where you're going yourself..."
Qi Chengyan glanced at her, smiling where she couldn't see. "Mm, okay."
And just like that, there wasn't a trace of drunkenness on him.
---
Comments
Post a Comment