I'm Rich - 41

Chapter 41


After returning to Yuhe Mansion, Qi Chengyan walked her straight to her door.

"Miss, you're back." The housekeeper came to greet her. Guan Zhiyi murmured an acknowledgment and went upstairs to change.

Only after Guan Zhiyi went up did Qi Chengyan ask, "Is Yuanbai home?"

"The young master is here. I'll go call him for you."

"Okay."

Today, not just Guan Yuanbai was home. Guan Xinghuai was too. When Guan Zhiyi came back down in comfortable clothes, she saw three men sitting in the living room, each one more intimidating than the last.

"Come sit." Guan Xinghuai patted the seat beside him.

Guan Zhiyi wasn't too keen, but under her father's stern gaze, she still went over.

"Your brother and I were watching the livestream at home. We saw you accept your award." Guan Xinghuai said.

"Oh..."

"Not bad. I've actually watched that drama of yours. The award is well-deserved."

Guan Zhiyi froze, looking at her father in surprise. "You... watched my show?"

"That surprising?" Guan Xinghuai shot her a look. "My daughter's TV drama, and I'm not allowed to watch it?"

Guan Zhiyi was happy inside, this was the first time she'd ever heard her father praise her career.

Guan Xinghuai: "I'm not stopping you from working in this industry anymore. But filming is filming, and life is life. That Xiao Ran kid isn't bad, and you two are a good match on screen, but don't go turning fiction into reality."

The conversation took a sudden turn into a baffling direction.

Guan Zhiyi's face went dark. She looked at the other two. Guan Yuanbai and Qi Chengyan sat quietly, both wearing expressions of agreement.

Guan Zhiyi: "..."

Guan Xinghuai: "Did you hear me? With someone in your industry, and someone as popular as Xiao Ran, do you have any idea how much mud they'll sling at you?"

"Dad, I'm not. Can you stop listening to gossip?"

Guan Xinghuai: "He drove you home specially. I saw the news."

"That's because Mao Mao's car broke down and I hadn't driven myself. He was just giving me a ride."

Guan Xinghuai's brow furrowed. "Then why don't you drive yourself? Your brother has so many cars in the garage. Are they just there to collect dust?"

"He's just a spendthrift..."

"What?"

"I mean I haven't driven in a long time."

"Getting your license really was just for show." Guan Yuanbai said offhandedly. "Tell you what. I'll take a few days soon and take you out to practice driving."

Guan Zhiyi didn't argue. Truthfully, she did sometimes want to drive herself. She'd just been too busy to practice.

"No schedule coming up?"

"No..."

"Perfect then."

The next afternoon, Guan Zhiyi woke from a nap and remembered Guan Yuanbai had said he'd take her to practice driving.

So she walked to his door and knocked.

"Come in."

Guan Zhiyi pushed the door open and poked her head in. "Ge, time to go practice driving."

Guan Yuanbai was standing in front of the mirror tying his tie. He glanced at her. "Wait a bit. Chengyan should be here soon."

Guan Zhiyi looked lost. "Here for what? Didn't you say you'd take me?"

Guan Yuanbai pulled on his suit jacket and walked over. "Something came up at the company. I have to go in. Don't worry, I told Chengyan. He said he'll teach you."

Guan Zhiyi's eyes widened slightly. "Then, then if you're busy, we just won't do it today. Why bother others?"

Guan Yuanbai gave her a strange look. "Since when is he ‘others’ to you?" His brow arched. "Oh. Don't tell me you two had a fight? Rare. Finally found something to pick at with him?"

Guan Zhiyi choked. "I did not."

"Then come with me to the garage." Guan Yuanbai checked his watch. "About time. He should be here."

In the end, Guan Zhiyi was dragged to the garage by Guan Yuanbai.

The two of them waited a short while, and soon Qi Chengyan arrived. Seeing him, Guan Yuanbai got into his own car. "She's all yours. She can drive, just a bit timid. More practice and she'll be fine."

Qi Chengyan nodded, taking the keys from him. "Got it. You go."

"Mm."

Guan Yuanbai rolled up the window, and with a roar of the engine, he drove out of the garage.

Guan Zhiyi stood there, watching Qi Chengyan walk toward her with the keys. He hadn't gone to work today, so he wasn't in a formal suit. Instead, he wore a casual black long coat over dark pants, lean and sharp, moving with an easy confidence.

Guan Zhiyi shifted her gaze away, a little uncomfortable.

"Get in." Qi Chengyan handed her the keys.

Guan Zhiyi didn't reach for the door. "You really are going to practice with me?"

Qi Chengyan: "What's wrong?"

"My brother said he'd take me. Why'd he dump this on you? I'm not a good driver. What if something happens... Ouch."

Before she could finish, Qi Chengyan tapped her on the head. "Don't say unlucky things."

Guan Zhiyi rubbed her head. "I'm being serious..."

"Then isn't that perfect? If something happens, I'm right here beside you. The one who dies with you is me."

Guan Zhiyi froze, staring at Qi Chengyan. He smiled faintly. "That way, your family still has survivors. Not a total wipeout."

Guan Zhiyi: "............"

Who exactly was saying unlucky things now?

"Alright, get in. Keep it under forty. You'll be fine."

"Oh."

Guan Zhiyi wasn't actually that unsure of her skills. She just felt it wasn't good for him to be the one practicing with her.

But there was no backing out now. She opened the door and got in.

Guan Yuanbai had picked out a two-seater sports car for her, saying it was smaller and easier to handle. But Guan Zhiyi suspected Guan Yuanbai had chosen it purely because he didn't want his other precious cars scratched.

After she got in, Qi Chengyan briefly explained the controls, and Guan Zhiyi set off. She drove very slowly, crawling along at just over thirty out of the mansion grounds.

Slow as it was, she was still nervous, her whole body tense, eyes fixed ahead, afraid something would suddenly pop out.

"No need to panic. There's no sidewalk on this road."

"Oh..."

"It's a straight line for at least the next ten minutes. If you're feeling comfortable, you can speed up a little." Qi Chengyan propped his head on one hand, gazing mildly ahead.

"No, no, no speeding up. This is fine."

Qi Chengyan glanced at her, his mouth curving faintly. "Fine. Suit yourself."

This was Guan Zhiyi's first time on the road in over two years, Qi Chengyan initially just navigated her along empty, quiet main roads. Only when she'd gradually adjusted and dared to pick up speed did he have her drive into the city.

By the time they reached the city, it was dark. Guan Zhiyi found a spot by the roadside and turned off the engine. "That's about enough for today. I think I can go home now."

Qi Chengyan: "Okay. Then drive back toward home."

Guan Zhiyi rolled her neck. She'd been tense the entire drive, now that she'd relaxed, her neck and arms ached.

"I don't want to drive anymore." She said.

Qi Chengyan saw her exhausted face and understood. "I'll drive. Come over here."

He got out, and Guan Zhiyi climbed directly from the driver's seat to the passenger seat. After Qi Chengyan got back in, his phone rang. When he finished the call, he turned to look at her. "Hungry?"

Guan Zhiyi nodded.

"A few friends called. Let's grab dinner first."

"Huh... Then how about I drop you off and drive myself home."

Qi Chengyan gave her a disapproving look. "You might be fine with it, but I'm not. It's fine. I'll take you home after we eat."

He started the car, not giving her room to refuse.

Guan Zhiyi had assumed it would be a dinner gathering, but when they arrived at the private club and walked in, she realized there were people inside she actually knew.

The private room was large, with a clear separation between the entertainment area and the dining area, fully equipped. At the moment, three men and two women were seated around the dining table.

Seeing them enter, the person nearest the door stood up first. "Chengyan, you came. I was wondering why you said you weren't coming at first. Turns out you brought a girl. Hey, this girl—"

The man's voice caught. He'd recognized her. "Isn't this Guan Xiao Wu?"

Guan Zhiyi had no impression of the man speaking. She looked questioningly at Qi Chengyan.

Qi Chengyan explained, "Song Li. A former classmate of your brother and me. You probably met him a few times when you were little."

"Oh... hello."

Song Li waved a hand. "It's fine, it's fine if you don't remember me. But I remember you. I've been seeing you on TV a lot lately."

Guan Zhiyi smiled, a little embarrassed.

"Come on, don't just stand there. Eat something."

Qi Chengyan led her toward the dining table. Once there, Guan Zhiyi properly greeted the only other person in the room she knew.

"Suizhou-ge."

Song Li pulled out a chair and sat down. "Why 'ge'? Just call him brother-in-law."

Guan Zhiyi touched her nose. This man wasn't even married to her sister yet. She wasn't going to call him that...

Jiang Suizhou, seated across from her, smiled faintly. "Ignore him."

"Tsk, brother-in-law isn't wrong. You and Guan Xi have been dating for so long." Song Li signaled the waiter to bring two more sets of dishes, then asked, "Oh right, how'd you two end up coming together today?"

Qi Chengyan said, "Xiao Wu's been learning to drive. I'm teaching her."

"You, a driving instructor?" Song Li smiled slyly. "Only Guan Xiao Wu could get you to play driving instructor in the middle of your busy schedule. Hey, I remember when she was little, she was glued to you. Followed you out to play ball plenty of times."

Guan Zhiyi felt awkward hearing this. So… everyone knew about her childhood clinginess.

"By the way, the internet says Xiao Wu is dating that big star Xiao Ran. Is that real?" After Song Li asked, everyone at the table looked over with curiosity, even Jiang Suizhou seemed interested.

Guan Zhiyi was about to say something when Qi Chengyan spoke first. "False."

Song Li looked disappointed. "Ah, I knew it was fake. How could Guan Yuanbai let his little sister date someone in the entertainment industry? Xiao Wu, is he still opposed to you being an actress?"

"It's fine now. He's not opposed anymore."

"That's good, that's good."

The food came out in waves,  no one at the table seemed in a hurry to eat. Mostly they chatted and drank. Guan Zhiyi was starving, yet she was too embarrassed to just dig in.

"Why aren't you eating?" Qi Chengyan put a couple of bites on her plate.

Guan Zhiyi: "...I'm eating."

Qi Chengyan grabbed a few more warm pastries for her and leaned in, his voice low. "Don't worry about them. Just eat."

He was a little too close, there was a faint scent of alcohol on his breath when he spoke. Guan Zhiyi looked at his eyes, which flecked with bits of light, and nodded slowly.

Qi Chengyan: "Or is there something you like? I'll get it for you."

Guan Zhiyi shook her head. She was about to say no need when Song Li's voice came from across the table. "My god, Qi Chengyan. Xiao Wu can feed herself. The way you spoil her, how is she ever supposed to find a husband?"

Song Li had already drunk quite a bit, his words were half-teasing, half-joking, no longer fully filtered.

"You worry too much." Qi Chengyan said mildly.

Song Li: "Of course I have to worry. If she can't find a husband, are you going to step up?"

Guan Zhiyi's chopsticks paused. She choked hard. "...Cough, cough."

Qi Chengyan glanced at her and pulled out a tissue. "Eat slower."

"Cough—"

Song Li sobered up a bit at the girl's choking. Oh man... he was too used to joking around. Why did he drag this girl into it?

Others might not know, but he did. He knew how Qi Chengyan and Guan Yuanbai had looked after this kid when they were young. He immediately reined in the joke. "Hahahaha I was just kidding—"

Qi Chengyan ignored him, only frowning at Guan Zhiyi, who'd gone red-faced from coughing.

Across the table, Jiang Suizhou's gaze moved between the two of them. His mouth curved slightly.

---

Author's Note: 

They won't get together right away. This brother is going to have to do some chasing first.

 ---


Comments