I'm Rich - 38
Chapter 38
For those few dozen seconds when his rationality collapsed, everything he did was instinct.
So now, watching Guan Zhiyi pitifully say it hurt, he was instantly drowning in remorse and heartache. But what was truly maddening was that even in this suffocating regret, the fierce impulse still wouldn't be pushed down...
Her tear-filled eyes only made his baser instincts stir more restlessly.
Qi Chengyan fought to steady his breathing and climbed off the bed. He sat on the edge, listening to the person beside him whimper softly. But thankfully, without restraint, she quickly fell asleep.
The room was dead silent. Qi Chengyan sighed softly, turned back, and lifted her onto the pillow. He reached for the blanket and pulled it over her, putting a solid barrier between them.
The soundly sleeping person turned over, letting out the heavy breathing that only came after drinking.
But the one still awake had the vivid touch and warmth from moments ago still lingering on his lips.
Qi Chengyan watched her in silence for a while, then stood and turned off the room's main lights, leaving only the dim glow of the bedside lamp.
He didn't linger. He turned and walked out.
Most of the celebration party guests had stayed overnight at the estate. The next morning, people trickled out of bed one by one, ate the breakfast the estate chefs had prepared, and gradually took their leave.
Guan Zhiyi had drunk hard this time. Months of suppression were released in one night, and she'd drunk herself into oblivion. When she woke, her head was splitting and her mouth was bone-dry.
Opening her eyes, she saw a familiar figure sitting on the couch nearby. "Mao Mao..."
The assistant, Mao Mao, heard her immediately and came over. "Zhiyi-jie, you're awake."
Guan Zhiyi raised a hand to knock on her forehead. "Why are you here?"
"The company has a lot going on, so Yun-jie rushed off early to handle it. She told me to come take care of you."
"Oh..."
"Yun-jie said, last night... ahem, she also told me not to just barge in. But when I got here I saw President Qi downstairs, so I figured I could come in and wait."
Guan Zhiyi hesitated. "What are you talking about?"
Mao Mao's face went a little red. "Um, Yun-jie said yesterday President Qi was the one who brought you up to rest, so..."
Guan Zhiyi paused, then grabbed Mao Mao's sleeve. "What? He, I... I was with him yesterday..."
Mao Mao blinked. "Zhiyi-jie, you don't remember?"
Guan Zhiyi nodded, then immediately shook her head.
She'd been drinking with Xiao Ran and Zhao Mingming yesterday, her head was foggy and lost. Later, she and Zhao Mingming were going back to rest, and on the way, Zhao Mingming got taken off by her assistant, and she... she really did seem to have left with Qi Chengyan.
Guan Zhiyi thought about it for a long time until her head felt like it was about to explode. "Mao Mao, get me some water first."
"Okay, okay!"
Mao Mao hurried off for water. Guan Zhiyi rolled over in bed and buried herself in the pillow.
Yesterday... he seemed to have carried her upstairs, then brought her back to the room... Okay, nothing strange about that. She was that drunk. Of course he'd bring her back to her room.
Except—
Guan Zhiyi suddenly turned her head. Hm?
"Can I kiss you again?"
"You're nice to kiss... so soft..."
Hm?
Hm???
What was that?!
Guan Zhiyi stared wide-eyed at nothing, a cold sweat breaking out on her back.
Was it a dream, or real?
Why did she have these strange, bizarre images?!
Guan Zhiyi couldn't lie there any longer and shot up from the bed.
She sat there dazed, starting to suspect she'd gotten handsy with Qi Chengyan while drunk.
But... no.
No, no! It had to be the alcohol, her obsession with him making her imagination run wild. It was just a dream!
Because if it wasn't a dream... then what was that image of them rolling around on the bed? Qi Chengyan pinning her down and kissing her... Such a terrifying scene… absolutely impossible, they could never be real. How could he ever do those things to her?
Guan Zhiyi pressed a hand to her forehead, her face burning red.
That dream was way too scary...
"Here's the water, it's a little hot, be careful." A moment later, Mao Mao came over with a glass.
Guan Zhiyi took it and asked, "Is everyone still here?"
"I saw some people had already left when I came."
"What about Mingming-jie?"
"Didn't see her. Didn't see Teacher Xiao either. They're probably still sleeping."
"Then—"
"President Qi is still downstairs."
Guan Zhiyi paused, said stiffly, "I wasn't asking about him."
Mao Mao: "Oh..."
The room had a full set of toiletries. Guan Zhiyi cleaned up a bit, then went downstairs with Mao Mao.
Along the way, she ran into familiar faces here and there.
"Zhiyi, what a coincidence, you just woke up too." Someone called out to her.
Guan Zhiyi turned and saw Xiao Ran strolling over lazily. He didn't look great, clearly hungover, but the image-conscious idol had a cap pulled down tight and a mask in hand, ready to use at any moment.
Guan Zhiyi said, "Just woke up. I'm going to get breakfast."
"Me too, me too." Xiao Ran fell into step beside her. "Man, I'm really getting old. I barely drank anything and my head is killing me."
Guan Zhiyi smiled. "You're not even thirty. How is that old?"
"Compared to you, I'm several years older."
"And being younger didn't make me any better at drinking." Guan Zhiyi shook her head. "I feel awful too."
"Hahaha, right? But we did overdo it yesterday. Mixing drinks and everything, no wonder we're dying right now."
...
Xiao Ran and Guan Zhiyi were chatting and laughing on their way to the dining room when they spotted Qi Chengyan coming in from the courtyard. Xiao Ran waved. "Hey, President Qi, still here? I thought you'd have left already."
Guan Zhiyi's gaze followed Xiao Ran's toward Qi Chengyan. The moment their eyes met, her heart gave a hard thump.
She was panicking. Even though those hazy images from yesterday were completely unreal, they'd still come from her own head. So seeing him now, she naturally felt a jittery, guilty unease.
"Have you eaten?" Qi Chengyan looked at Guan Zhiyi and asked.
"Not yet. That's where Zhiyi and I are headed."
As Xiao Ran spoke, he slung an arm around Guan Zhiyi, all casual and familiar. His ease was natural, but to the one watching, it was deeply unpleasant.
Qi Chengyan's brow furrowed slightly. "Does your head hurt? There's hangover soup in the kitchen."
This was clearly directed at Guan Zhiyi, so Xiao Ran didn't answer, just looked at her. She couldn't stay silent now. She nodded and said dryly. "A little. I'll go drink some in a bit."
As she spoke, she was quietly studying Qi Chengyan.
He was as caring as ever, as composed as ever. That confirmed it for her. Those images in her head really were just a drunken dream.
For a moment, she didn't know whether to feel relieved or disappointed.
"Let's go, I'm hungry." She tugged Xiao Ran and said nothing more to Qi Chengyan.
Xiao Ran hurried after her. "Wait for me, wait for me. Let's see what good stuff they've got."
Qi Chengyan stood where he was and didn't follow.
His mind had been a mess all night. He hadn't managed to sleep until past six in the morning, and even then it was fitful. He was awake again by eight.
Uncertain whether Guan Zhiyi remembered, he'd stayed here instead of leaving. Now, watching her and Xiao Ran walk off together, chatting and laughing, he knew. She'd probably blacked out completely.
Qi Chengyan felt a helpless frustration. She'd been drunk last night, but he hadn't. Those wild, reckless moments were the result of his own lack of control. He'd spent the whole night thinking about how to coax her, what to say when she woke so he wouldn't scare her...
But who would've thought… This little brat had forgotten everything.
Guan Zhiyi was restless through breakfast, though she didn't dare show it too obviously. She forced herself to chat calmly with Zhao Mingming and Xiao Ran.
"We finally have some free time these couple days. How about hot pot tonight? My treat." Zhao Mingming suggested.
Li Xuan agreed quickly. "Sure. What about you two?"
There were only four actors at the table. Xiao Ran naturally nodded. Guan Zhiyi was distracted, and only came back to herself when Zhao Mingming nudged her arm.
"Zhiyi, hot pot later, you in?"
Guan Zhiyi: "Huh? Oh, s-sure."
"Then it's settled. I haven't had hot pot in forever. We're definitely doing it today."
"Okay."
The four of them had talked about getting together for ages, but they were all famous and busy. Overlapping free time was rare.
So once it was decided, Zhao Mingming had her assistant book a table right away.
When Qi Chengyan came over, Guan Zhiyi had just finished breakfast and was about to call Mao Mao to take her back to her apartment.
"Not going home?" he asked.
Guan Zhiyi shook her head. "No. I'm going out with Xiao Ran and the others tonight."
"Where are you going with him?"
Guan Zhiyi glanced at him. "Nowhere special. Just grabbing food together."
"You and him, are you still..."
"Mao Mao!" Guan Zhiyi suddenly waved at her assistant in the distance. "Bring the car around. I want to go back."
Mao Mao gave an OK sign from afar and headed toward the parking lot.
Only after giving the instructions did Guan Zhiyi turn back to Qi Chengyan. "Anyway, I'm heading out. Didn't sleep well last night. I think I need to go home and catch up on rest."
Qi Chengyan looked down at her, the question he wanted to ask swallowed back. "Okay."
Guan Zhiyi murmured an acknowledgment, pulled her hat down, and walked straight out.
Qi Chengyan watched her for a while. She didn't look back.
In the past, she'd always turn back every few steps, grinning and waving at him.
But at some point, she'd stopped.
**
Guan Zhiyi went home and rested. That evening, Mao Mao drove over to pick her up and took her to the hot pot place. The owner was a relative of Zhao Mingming's. He gave them the most private booth and brought the four of them up through the back door.
Since filming wrapped, this was the first time the four leads had gotten together purely to eat. They ate and chatted, topics flowing endlessly.
They ate for a full two hours before the little gathering wound down. Zhao Mingming's and Li Xuan's staff were arriving later, so Xiao Ran and Guan Zhiyi headed down to the underground garage first.
Guan Zhiyi had just reached the garage when Mao Mao called. "Zhiyi-jie, there's a problem with the tire. Don't come down yet. I'm having someone take a look."
Guan Zhiyi: "I'm already down. Where are you?"
"Huh? Then maybe go back up first. The car won't start right now."
Guan Zhiyi felt a little helpless. "Fine."
After hanging up, she turned to head back, but Xiao Ran caught her arm. "What's wrong?"
Guan Zhiyi: "Something's wrong with the car. Mao Mao told me to wait upstairs."
"Oh, no problem. Just ride with me. I'll drive you." Xiao Ran jingled his keys. "I drove myself today. Convenient."
Guan Zhiyi: "Don't trouble yourself, I—"
"Why be so formal with me? Come on, get in." Xiao Ran tugged her toward his car. "Where to? Back to Yuhe?"
Seeing him like this, Guan Zhiyi stopped being polite. "Not home. Back to my own little apartment."
"Got it. Show me the address in a bit."
---
Author's Note:
Jealous Qi is about to make his entrance—
---
Comments
Post a Comment