I'm Rich - 13
Chapter 13
It was already the end of the year. Now that the variety show finished taping, Guan Zhiyi would finally get a break, then join the cast of The Imperial Court until after the New Year.
Right around this time, her father had told her to come home. She'd originally intended to make the trip herself. She hadn't expected Qi Chengyan to come for her.
“Yun-jie still hasn’t come. She told me to wait for her.”
Qi Chengyan said, “No need. She already knows I’m here.”
Guan Zhiyi looked surprised. “Then are we going home now?”
Qi Chengyan asked, “Do you need to go back to where you’re staying and pack anything?”
“No. I already brought all my essentials with me for filming.”
“All right. Then let’s go.”
“Okay!”
Qi Chengyan took her suitcase and motioned for her to walk ahead.
Guan Zhiyi turned to Xiao Ran and said goodbye. “See you.”
Xiao Ran nodded. “See you next year.”
Guan Zhiyi nodded back and walked toward the door. Watching her retreating figure, Xiao Ran sighed. “I’m telling you, you even came all the way here to pick this girl up. My curiosity is getting worse by the minute."
Qi Chengyan: "Then keep it in check."
“Tsk... Are you really not going to tell me who she is to you?”
Qi Chengyan gave him a faint smile. “Didn’t I already tell you?”
“Yeah, but you came to pick her up in person… Can’t you give me another clue?”
Qi Chengyan thought for a moment. “Neighbor.”
“Huh?!”
Qi Chengyan patted him on the shoulder. “All right, I’m leaving.”
Qi Chengyan and Guan Zhiyi walked out one after the other.
“Neighbor? Guan... Could she be...” Xiao Ran's eyes widened slightly. “From Guan Yuanbai’s family?”
“Ran-ge, ready to go?” His manager walked over just then.
Xiao Ran was still processing his surprise and didn't immediately answer. His manager followed his gaze toward Qi Chengyan and Guan Zhiyi. “Didn’t expect Guan Zhiyi to be someone President Qi’s involved with. This little girl’s got some skills.”
Xiao Ran shot him a look. "What are you implying?"
His manager said matter-of-factly, “I heard Qi Chengyan plans to make big moves in the entertainment industry. Ever since he came back to the country, plenty of savvy stars have been throwing themselves at him. You know Zheng Yitong? Apparently she was pursuing him recently. I’m just surprised that someone as far down the ladder as Guan Zhiyi got there first.”
Xiao Ran let out a strange laugh. "You think Qi Chengyan's that easy to get?”
His manager said, “Then Guan Zhiyi...”
“She’s an exception. Come on. I want to get back and rest early.”
Xiao Ran didn't elaborate. The Guan and Qi families were evenly matched in wealth and influence, yet Guan Zhiyi was out here making her own way in the industry. There had to be a reason for that. Since neither she nor Qi Chengyan intended to say anything, he naturally had no reason to pry.
Still, this did explain why Qi Chengyan had personally come to pick her up. Given his relationship with Guan Yuanbai, picking up the man's little sister was hardly strange.
**
Qi Chengyan was not driving himself today. Guan Zhiyi glanced at him sitting beside her and asked, “He asked you to come pick me up, didn’t he?”
“Still angry with your brother?”
Guan Zhiyi gave a soft huff and turned to look out the window. “If he were really sincere, he should apologize to me and come pick me up himself.”
“Sounds like me coming to get you doesn’t quite cut it.”
Guan Zhiyi froze, then hurriedly said, “That’s not what I meant. I... I like you that you come to pick me up!”
The corner of Qi Chengyan’s mouth lifted slightly. “Oh? Is that so?”
“Of course! I was just saying that he wasn’t being sincere.”
Qi Chengyan said, “He told me last time that he knows he was wrong and won't say things like that again."
“Really?”
“Really. He’s probably just too proud to swallow his pride and apologize, so he had me come get you instead.” Qi Chengyan was clearly practiced at playing peacemaker between the siblings. "So when you get home, don't stay so stubborn."
Guan Zhiyi was, in fact, easy to placate. Hearing that Guan Yuanbai actually knew he'd been in the wrong, her resentment toward him immediately ebbed.
“I watched a bit of the show,” Qi Chengyan said.
Guan Zhiyi suddenly felt a little embarrassed. “I haven’t watched it yet. Was I pretty silly?”
"I didn't expect you to be so capable at life skills. All these years, you really handled everything on your own?" He glanced at her. "What was your brother thinking, letting you handle everything yourself?”
Guan Zhiyi paused. “He did try to help me at one point. But the condition was that I give up my career. Of course I wouldn’t agree to that. And I told him from the start that I could make it on my own, so later on, it was more that I chose not to rely on my family.”
"Never felt it was too hard?”
“No.”
Qi Chengyan had a gap in his knowledge about those years of Guan Zhiyi's life. So when he saw the news and the variety show, he'd felt genuine surprise. He had never imagined that the little girl he had once spoiled and held in the palm of his hand could have ended up living like this.
“How have things been with Hongxi lately?” Qi Chengyan asked casually.
Guan Zhiyi hadn't expected him to bring this up. She gave an awkward laugh. "Ah... him? I couldn’t really call anyone while I was filming this month, so I haven’t been in touch with him.”
“Mm.”
Qi Chengyan didn't seem inclined to pursue the subject. Guan Zhiyi asked, “So did he tell you something?”
“No.”
“Oh.”
“He did tell his parents that he really likes you.”
“Did he...”
"What's wrong?" Qi Chengyan glanced at her. "You don't seem all that happy."
Of course Guan Zhiyi didn't feel much either way. If she wanted to pretend, she could, but for some reason, sitting beside Qi Chengyan now, she did not even feel like pretending.
“Then, Gege, would you be happy?”
Qi Chengyan paused. “Me?”
The second the question left her mouth, Guan Zhiyi realized something was off. Why was she asking that… She frowned and quickly corrected herself. “I mean, if I were together with your cousin, would you feel... happy about it? Would you think we were a good match?”
Qi Chengyan looked ahead. “If you two genuinely like each other, then I’d say you’re a good match.”
“So... you’d be happy about it too, right?”
Qi Chengyan reached over and ruffled her hair, his tone full of fond indulgence. "If you kids are happy, then I'm happy."
Kids...
She was already this grown-up. Why did he still see her as a kid?
She used to love it when he treated her this way. Calling her a kid while spoiling her even more than her own brother. But now, suddenly, she didn't like it anymore…
Not one bit.
An hour later, the car entered Yuhe Mansion.
Yuhe Mansion sat in the prime real estate of the capital, adjacent to Chang Lake and the surrounding wetlands, with exceptionally beautiful natural surroundings. Guan Zhiyi had grown up here. Qi Chengyan’s grandfather also lived here, and because Qi Chengyan had spent his childhood living with his grandfather, he had lived in this area for more than a decade as well.
Once they entered the compound, Qi Chengyan first had the driver stop in front of the Guan residence. After Guan Zhiyi got out, he had the driver turn back. It was not far at all. A few minutes later, they arrived at his own home.
After saying goodbye to Qi Chengyan, Guan Zhiyi dragged her suitcase inside.
“Miss is home!” The moment she stepped through the door, Auntie Chen, one of the household staff, hurried out to greet her in delight.
Guan Zhiyi hummed. “Auntie Chen, are Dad and my brother both home?”
“They are, they are. They might be in the study right now. Here, here, give me that suitcase."
Guan Zhiyi let go of the handle and walked inside.
There were quite a few people working in the household, most of whom had watched her grow up, so they were all delighted to see her home. After greeting everyone, Guan Zhiyi made her way to the study. She raised her hand and knocked. When she heard her father call from inside, “Come in,” she pushed the door open.
“Dad.” Guan Zhiyi poked her head inside.
Guan Xinghuai was seated behind the desk, while Guan Yuanbai sat opposite him. They were probably discussing company matters again.
“You’re back,” Guan Xinghuai said.
“Mm.”
“Why are you standing there? Come in.”
“Oh.”
Guan Zhiyi walked in and closed the door behind her.
“What’s wrong with you?” Guan Yuanbai suddenly frowned at her.
Guan Zhiyi said, “...What did I do?”
Guan Yuanbai looked her up and down, then stood up and grabbed her arm. “The last time I saw you, you weren’t... How did you lose so much weight?”
Guan Zhiyi shrugged. "Dieting."
"I told you not to mess around with starving yourself—"
Guan Xinghuai joined in, scolding her. “Xiao Wu, your brother’s right. How can you be so reckless at your age?”
“I didn’t starve myself! I lost weight the healthy way, by exercising.” Guan Zhiyi insisted, “Really.”
Guan Yuanbai reached out and pinched her cheek, dissatisfied, . “You were already skinny enough. I really don’t know what you were thinking.”
“That’s what you think. The camera doesn’t think I’m thin enough...”
“What did you say?”
“Nothing, nothing.” Guan Zhiyi knew her brother and father were just worried about her, so she said, "Alright, alright, I’m perfectly healthy. Can you two please not start lecturing me the moment I get home?”
Guan Yuanbai and Guan Xinghuai naturally knew that she'd lost weight for work reasons. The dissatisfaction was plain on their faces, but mindful of not letting the New Year's mood sour over the same old argument, they both wisely held their tongues.
“What were you doing just now?” Guan Zhiyi asked, deliberately changing the subject.
Guan Xinghuai said, “Talking about some work matters with your brother.”
“I knew it.”
Guan Xinghuai: “You knew what? Xiao Wu, how are things with that young man from the Hua family lately?”
Seriously... Why were all the questions Dad and her brother asked exactly the same as the ones Chengyan-gege had asked?
“Good. Very good.”
“That’s good.”
Guan Xinghuai continued, “Oh, right. Yuanbai, Chengyan’s been back for quite a while now, hasn’t he?”
“Mm.”
"Since you kids are rarely home. With the New Year coming, tomorrow you two should go to Chengyan's place and pay respects to Old Master Qi.”
Guan Zhiyi said, “Sure!”
Guan Yuanbai said, “Got it.”
**
The next day, Guan Yuanbai and Guan Zhiyi brought gifts and went to Qi Chengyan’s house.
The next day, Guan Yuanbai and Guan Zhiyi arrived at Qi Chengyan's house with gifts in hand.
Guan Zhiyi had visited Qi Chengyan's home often as a child and had always been very close to Old Master Qi. The moment she stepped inside, she walked in with practiced familiarity.
“Grandpa!”
In the living room, Qi Chengyan and Old Master Qi, Qi Mingsheng, were drinking tea.
When Qi Mingsheng turned and saw Guan Zhiyi running in, his eyes crinkled with laughter. “Well, well, who do we have here? Isn’t this our little princess~”
Guan Zhiyi grinned and went over to him. “It’s been so long since I came to see you, Grandpa. I brought you a little gift.”
“Having you come see me is already enough. Why bring a gift? Come, come, sit.”
“Okay!”
Qi Mingsheng said, “Yuanbai, don’t just stand there. Sit too.”
“Sure.” Guan Yuanbai sat down. “How have you been lately, Grandpa?”
“I’m doing well.” Qi Mingsheng looked at Guan Zhiyi. “But doesn’t Xiao Wu look a little thinner?”
“Just an illusion, just an illusion. I haven’t lost weight.”
“Really?”
“Really.”
“And that boy Hongxi, he’s treating you well, right?”
Guan Zhiyi paused. “Uh... yes. Very well.”
“Good. I’ve watched you grow up too. If you marry into our family, I’ll be at ease.”
Guan Zhiyi gave an awkward little smile.
"Hey, you two should learn from Xiao Wu here! You need to get your relationships settled too!" The topic suddenly swung around to target Guan Yuanbai and Qi Chengyan.
Guan Yuanbai cleared his throat. “The company’s been rather busy these past couple of years...”
“Always that excuse. Busy, busy, busy. How busy can you possibly be? You and Chengyan are two of a kind.”
Qi Chengyan smiled but didn't argue.
"Well, at least Chengyan's got some progress to show. Yuanbai, you need to catch up."
Guan Yuanbai looked at Qi Chengyan in surprise. “Progress?”
Guan Zhiyi froze. "What... progress?"
Qi Mingsheng gave her a knowing smile. “Xiao Wu, I’ve arranged a nice girl for your Chengyan-gege. They’ve already met, and seemed quite pleased with each other. It's that girl from the Yang family. Do you know her?”
Guan Zhiyi blinked slowly, struggling to believe what she had just heard. The idea of someone like Qi Chengyan going on a blind date was absurd enough to be funny.
But she found herself unable to laugh.
She watched Qi Mingsheng’s mouth moving as he continued speaking, and a strange, indescribable tightness suddenly rose in her chest.
“...That girl is a year younger than your two brothers here. Very pretty. You can all meet her in a few days. You’re all young people, so you’ll have plenty to talk about.”
Guan Zhiyi turned to look at Qi Chengyan. His expression remained completely unchanged, which meant that what Grandpa Qi was saying wasn't a joke.
So... he'd found someone he liked?
Guan Zhiyi drew a slow breath, and suddenly felt the suffocating weight in her chest building, piling up until it was hard to breathe.
The truth was, ever since he'd come back and she'd started spending time with him, she'd noticed her feelings had shifted. But she'd never imagined they'd shifted this far.
She'd never expected that hearing he had someone he liked would make her feel... this devastatingly heartbroken.
---
Comments
Post a Comment