Starlight Descends - 76
Harbor
[Seriously... this is basically a hard launch, right??? Has the entertainment industry finally grown a spine? Are we really getting a confession this open and unapologetic?!]
[Shook my entire family... you real-life couples don't need to flex this hard, I'm just saying.]
[HOLY SHIT!!! Last night our CP was getting bullied in the supertopic, and today the actual couple came out and made it official themselves. WHO ELSE CAN DO THAT?! Seriously, WHO?! I'm on my fucking knees begging everyone to ship Yao Qian Shu with us!!!]
[These two are seriously incredible. One was willing to open up her private account and let everyone see her ten-year secret crush story. The other stayed up in the middle of the night replying to every single one. Whether it's the sincerity or the care they put into each other... they're perfect together. Wishing them a lifetime of happiness.]
[I'm crying so hard... actually, I guessed some hints early on. At first I followed Shu because he was ridiculously handsome, later I'd occasionally spot Qi Yao in his photos. I thought, a gorgeous guy and a gorgeous girl, nice to ship. But last night I stayed up late and watched him post those replies one by one. Then I went and cross-referenced them with Qi Yao's private account... I just completely broke down.]
[Pure passerby here, whenever I see a couple this sincere and open, all I can say is congratulations. Seriously, respect.]
[Everyone who kept mocking 71 for "marrying up"... does your face hurt now? Between the press conference and these Weibo posts, what kind of "higher branch" treats you with this much care and intention?]
[It gets even better! Go check Ye Qingman's Weibo! She just uploaded a vlog titled "Attending My Best Friend's Confession." You only see side profiles and backs, but anyone with functioning eyes knows it's THEM!!!!!]
[I SAW IT AHHHHHHHHH!! Do you people understand?! He took her back to their old school to confess! And those fireworks... I saw something similar in Japan two years ago, except this was even bigger! I'm crying!!!]
[That's absurdly romantic... It beats every romance drama I've ever watched.]
[I'm done. Their real life is better than fiction?! I demand these two stars in a drama together! A documentary would work too! I'd watch it a hundred times!]
[Those two beauties really have an amazing friendship. Manman is always rushing to the front lines to support her best friend unconditionally. Suddenly I'm so envious of Qi Yao. Thriving in both friendship and love, outstanding in her own right as a career-driven actress. My forever role model, sobsobsob.]
[The film crew are not people, they're just dogs that got kicked while walking down the street. Come admire this masterpiece: on the Dust Melody set's little blackboard, the person treating everyone to a meal is listed as "Qi Yao's Family Member( Jiā-shǔ)"! Quietly showing off, weren't you?!]
[THE PUN IS KILLING ME!! Family member (家屬 Jiā-shǔ) = Jiashu (嘉樹 Jiā-shù). Who came up with this?! Ask Shu Baby for compensation immediately!!]
[There's something even sweeter... A romance novel wouldn't dare write this. [image]. Taken by a proxy seller. No faces visible. At first I just thought the figure looked familiar, but now it suddenly hit me... Isn't that Fengxing's Young Master?! Hugging her in an alley beside the set on New Year's Eve... Someone please tell me how we're supposed to survive this sweetness?!]
[This photo is EVERYTHING! That height difference... whew. QY looks so tiny. She's practically disappearing into his hug. It looks unbelievably warm.]
[Wait... this was during Lunar New Year? Didn't Young Master have to go home? Yu Chongshan looks like the kind of father who'd erase you from the family tree if you skipped New Year's dinner.]
[Maybe they've already met the parents.]
[Am I the only one noticing there are three people in the photo? The little girl beside them is adorable too. Hahaha.]
[...Could that be their daughter? If their kid's already that big, what's the point of making such a dramatic relationship announcement now? Sounds like pure publicity.]
[@TianYing_ying replying to @LittlePiglet: You're overthinking it.]
[...WAIT. WHAT DID I JUST SEE? Was that actually the REAL HER?!?!]
[HAHAHAHAHAHA I'M DYING! Even Ying-jie showed up in person! That's her daughter! She posts her sometimes on her daily Weibo. A super cute little sister!]
[HAHAHAHA! Ying-jie: How did you manage to disrespect me and slander my future daughter-in-law with one sentence?]
[Have they seriously already met the parents? Are we at the stage where his family publicly defends her?! AHHHH I'M SHIPPING THEM SO HARD MY BRAIN HAS STOPPED WORKING!!!]
[Make way! Make way! The Yao Qian Shu parade float is coming through!]
[News flash! QY Studio just reposted something! Looks like the trailer and wrap special for Dust Melody are finally out!]
[Wansheng really knows marketing. As expected of Man-jie, jumping right on the peak of the buzz. Do the beauty a favor, go check it out.]
[HOLY... I just came back after watching it. I honestly thought it'd be another generic urban web drama, but... there's actually a suspense thriller element?!]
[No kidding, the trailer was edited so well. I got goosebumps.]
[Is Qi Yao doing a genre shift? That final glance at the stairwell corner in the last shot... There weren't any creepy filters or scary music, but every hair on my body stood up.]
[You're not alone. I was curled up under an electric blanket with two cats in my lap, perfectly warm and cozy. After watching it, I quietly pulled the blanket tighter. Just thinking about it again still gives me chills.]
[Her acting really does seem to be getting stronger... she's not relying on makeup or wardrobe either. Just dressed like a regular college girl. But one tiny tremble of her shoulder, the slightest flutter of her eyelashes, one subtle shift in her expression... and you can feel this dark, hidden story being unveiled.]
[She's so good at challenging herself. After all these years, her roles almost never repeat the same formula. And I heard this drama only has twelve episodes?]
[For real? Then I'll definitely check it out when it airs. These days, fast-paced shows with no filler are rare.]
[Rumor has it the overseas distribution rights were already sold before it even aired.]
[??? Seriously? Isn't that usually something that happens after a show becomes a hit? Please don't tell me it was sold to some tiny distributor.]
[I looked into it. There's barely any information available, but one thing's certain. It wasn't bought by a small company. XFly acquired it... before filming had even wrapped.]
[HOLY SHIT. My expectations just skyrocketed. Are they aiming directly for the international market?!]
[That's thinking big. While actresses of her generation are still fighting over popular romance IPs, and worrying about who the male lead falls in love with, Yao-mei's already moved on to female-led workplace suspense thriller.]
[And with zero marketing… If today's relationship news hadn't exploded, nobody would've even discovered this drama. Talk about keeping a low profile….]
[A hardworking, career-focused female celebrity. Truly thriving in both career and love. Absolutely winning fans. Does anyone get it?]
...
Qi Yao's repost wasn't a trivial decision, nor was it an especially complicated one.
Since it involved publicly confirming the relationship, it was something Qi Yao decided after a quick online meeting with Zhao Min and Yang Man.
The discussion itself was brief.
Several of the award-winning actresses Yang Man had managed were either married or divorced, while Zhao Min herself had already been divorced twice. Neither of them considered going public with a relationship to be a particularly serious issue.
As long as there wouldn't be ugly scandals later and the relationship was serious, they had no objections.
"You're an actress. Not an idol who depends on boyfriend fans for work. Honestly, I care much more about your future roles than whether you announce your relationship."
Working with people who saw things so clearly and shared the same philosophy, Qi Yao feels lighter than she had in a long time.
The conversation naturally shifted to the promotional schedule for her new drama, and they finalized the dates for the publicity tour.
"A few investors have been contacting me about product placement and opening advertisements," Zhao Min said. "I'll get back to them later."
"Okay," Qi Yao replied.
"I like him." Just before ending the call, Zhao Min suddenly said it out of nowhere, drawing two laughs from Yang Man, who called her a gossip.
Qi Yao blanked for two seconds. "Who?"
"Your boyfriend." Zhao Min spoke lazily. "I met him during the interview before. Really good-looking. Calm, grounded, humble where he should be, confident where it matters. Most importantly, he's steady."
"Tian Ying used to tell me stories about him. I treated them as amusing gossip back then. Never imagined we'd end up practically becoming a family. He's a good kid."
"..."
Qi Yao fell silent, no idea how to respond. In the end, she simply thanked her and hung up.
The earlier part was fine. It was just that final line.
"A good kid."
That phrasing instantly put Yu Jiashu in a different generation from her.
Strictly by seniority, Zhao Min was indeed of Tian Ying's generation. And since Qi Yao called Zhao Min "Min-jie," logically, she should call Tian Ying "Ying-jie" too.
Which meant, if she rounded everything together...
Didn't that technically make her Yu Jiashu's aunt?
Qi Yao: "..."
No. Better not think about this too hard. Definitely better not.
If Yu Jiashu ever heard this, he'd never let her live it down.
After hanging up, Qi Yao opened social media again.
The public discussion remained sky-high.
Even Dust Ballad had ridden the wave of attention to an unprecedented level, allowing the production team to promote the series far beyond anything they'd originally imagined.
Yu Jiashu's account had gained another two million followers overnight. He now had more followers than plenty of minor celebrities.
Curious, Qi Yao opened his comment section.
Apart from congratulations and endless strings of crying emoji, everyone was jokingly calling him "Yao-mei's husband."
"..."
Where did they even come up with these nicknames?
Qi Yao couldn't help laughing.
After washing her dishes and putting everything away, she curled up on the sofa and casually started an old movie.
It was a classic Hong Kong film. The picture quality wasn't great anymore, but the story was excellent.
Halfway through the movie, a faint sound came from the entryway.
Moments later, the front door unlocked.
Qi Yao: "...?"
The room briefly fell silent, save for the Cantonese-accented Mandarin still playing from the television.
She glanced at the time, then looked toward the man calmly walking into the living room. Puzzled, she asked, "It's barely eleven. Shouldn't you still be at work?"
"Normally, yes."
Yu Jiashu lowered his eyes as he unhurriedly removed his coat and hung it by the entrance.
"..."
Qi Yao hugged her cushion and leaned back a little. She repeated, "Normally?"
"So what's today's special excuse for skipping work?"
"I have one."
Yu Jiashu pulled two sodas from the fridge, ambled over lazily, and stood in front of her.
Looking down at her, he answered matter-of-factly. "The boss is celebrating. So the whole company got the day off."
"Does the boss's wife have any objections?"
His tone remained lazy and relaxed, yet somehow carried an unmistakable sense of ‘I'm the boss, I make the rules’.
He was unbearably smug.
"..."
Qi Yao was silent for a moment, then offered with exaggerated politeness, "I wouldn't dare, I wouldn't dare."
One standing, one sitting. One looking up, one looking down.They held each other's gaze until smiles quietly surfaced in both their eyes.
"Then would this boss please sit here and watch the movie with me?" Qi Yao patted the spot beside her.
The man's lips curved into a smile. He hummed in agreement and sat down as instructed.
The sofa sank gently beneath their weight.
Qi Yao naturally looped her arm through his, rested her head against his shoulder, found the most comfortable position she could, and quietly continued watching.
Whenever the earlier plot became relevant, she'd briefly explain it.
Yu Jiashu listened without difficulty, occasionally responding with a quiet hum.
Half the curtains were drawn, softening the daylight.
The projector's shifting light flickered across the screen.
On the sofa, their two silhouettes leaned close together, looking peaceful and perfectly content.
Neither of them brought up the trending topics, the social media firestorm, or the public furor.
It was as if, when the two of them were alone together, it was only about to the two of them. Not worth troubling their minds over anyone or anything else.
Dozens of Weibo posts, millions of followers, countless trending topics. They were nothing more than dispensable background noise after an honest expression of feeling.
Whether they existed or not, whether people praised them or criticized them, none of it could intrude on this time that belonged only to them.
Qi Yao suddenly remembered the period when negative headlines had overwhelmed her.
Back then, Yu Jiashu had quietly sat beside her too. Using a tiny retro console, Mario and Luigi running through pipes,
Without making a fuss, without saying much, he simply helping her forget all those heavy emotions.
He had always been like this.
Quiet. Reserved. Seemingly carefree.
Yet endlessly thoughtful.
Always steady.
Always dependable.
He had shown her through his actions. That wherever he was would always become the safest, warmest harbor she could ever return to.
Qi Yao was quiet for a long while.
Frame after frame drifted across the screen like passing clouds, barely registering in her mind.
Only after Yu Jiashu repeated his question did she finally snap back to reality.
"Why does he keep swimming in the pool?"
Qi Yao blinked. "Oh."
She gathered her thoughts and explained, "Because... that's actually her husband. Hearing her say all of that hurt him so much. If he's underwater... He Lizhu won't be able to see him crying..."
Her words stopped abruptly.
Yu Jiashu was leaning back fully against the sofa, his gaze fixed flatly on the screen. He gave a noncommittal hum and asked, "Why'd you stop?"
"..."
Absolutely shameless.
Qi Yao was silent for a moment, then lowered her lashes to look down.
If it weren't for the slight bulge on one side of her thin pajama top, she'd almost believed she'd falsely accused him.
After a long pause, Qi Yao raised her eyes. Mimicking his posture, she fixed her own gaze flatly forward at the screen and pretended nothing was happening.
Without turning her head, she reached down and caught the wandering hand hidden beneath her shirt.
"Could you stop touching me?"
His long, elegant fingers lazily kneaded the curve of her waist, already beginning to drift higher.
"No." Yu Jiashu answered without the slightest embarrassment. "I've wanted to touch you since you grabbed me this morning."
The coolness of his fingertips slid upward.
Qi Yao shivered and pressed her lips together. "...That was just instinct."
"Even if you were unconsciously sleepwalking, you still have to take responsibility, okay?" Yu Jiashu tilted his head lazily to look at her. His warm breath brushed against her ear as he spoke, making her shrink back involuntarily.
"...You're impossible." Qi Yao pushed lightly against him. "Maybe you should just go back to work."
"I can't."
His fingers spread across her back, bracing his palm against her slender back and pulling her closer against himself. He pressed his nose to hers and said, his voice dropped low.
"Now everyone knows we're dating."
He paused, his dark eyes rested quietly on hers. After a long while, he spoke again, as if surrendering.
"I can't stop thinking about you. I honestly can't concentrate on work."
"..."
How could someone be this clingy?
Heat slowly crept up Qi Yao's ears. She pressed her lips together.
Even after all this time, his complete lack of restraint in broad daylight still left her flustered.
Finally, almost whispering, she said,
"...Then close the curtains."
Yu Jiashu lowered his head with a soft laugh. "All right."
He smiled.
"Whatever the boss's wife says."
---
Author's Note:
The movie they were watching is My Left Eye Sees Ghosts.
(Don't worry. It's not a horror film.)
---
Comments
Post a Comment